Monday 19 February 2007

SEO - keywords and other meta tags

The old Keyword has been so overused, it has more or less disappeared up it's own meta tag.. Most search engines will use your 'title', 'description', headings and first paragraph of content as priority indicators for searching. Of course, nobody (who is allowed to say) can know the full hysteresis for Web-site ranking, so most of the advice given is mainly hypothesis. It is possible that minor search engines are using keywords, and I think it is reasonable to assume proper use of keywords won't do any harm..
(NOTE I HAVE HAD TO REVERSE THE SYMBOLS TO POST THEM HERE.. FOR '<' READ '>' etc..)
The correct format in HTML is:

>meta name="keywords" content="mylist, of keywords, here with, variations, similar words, and anything else, I want to put here"<>title<>/title<>meta name="description" content="This is my chance to describe what my web site is all about and I am not going to waste it."<>/meta<>' etc..)

No comments: